Mya was beside me in bed, both of us coughing and snuffling. I was watching boring "Mommy tv" hoping its dullness would cause Mya to grow sleepy. The plan backfired as Mya was entranced by all the princesses dancing on Dancing with the Stars. It was past her bedtime but I wasn't surprised she was still alert and bouncy due to her afternoon nap that stretched to four o'clock.
"Maybe if I grab a branch, I could jump higher than a house," she mused when her interest in the dancing waned.
Since Mya and I spend basically 24/7 in each other's company, it didn't take me but a second to make the leap to where her mind had wandered. I marveled that she was still trying to make sense of a joke made days or weeks earlier, but I did know what the reference was.
Who can jump higher than a house?
Anyone can .... houses can't jump!!! Ha!
So, Mya, while finding the joke uproariously funny, didn't get it. She knew she didn't quite get it and she was still trying to straighten things out.
I walked her through the joke, asking her if she would jump, even just a little, if I said "jump". Then I asked her if she thought our house would jump if I stood in front of it and said "jump".
I think I'll have to wait for another month to see if she got it yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment