I was watching a tv show a while back about discipline for troubled children. I wouldn't call Mya troubled, but this one expert had something to say that has stuck in my mind.
He said, if a child is caught in a fit or rage, that is not the time to teach them a lesson. Just like swimming, if you see someone drowning you do not take that moment to teach them how to swim; you help them. You simply get them out of the situation.
Since that show, I've been thinking a lot about simply helping Mya. I know that if I get into the old-school parenting game of "I'm the one in charge" trying to prove my power over her, I am doomed.
Traveling requires a pretty strict approach with Mya so I felt as though we were caught in a negative cycle of my pulling her up short at every corner. Today, I resolved to pour praise and love on Mya and lo and behold, it worked.
I encouraged her, I focused on her and I spent the day with one happy little girl. Duh, go figure. If a child receives love, encouragement and attention, she thrives. I am one smart Momma :)
No comments:
Post a Comment