Guarding Mya's spirit is one of my greatest responsibilities. She is feisty, she is determined, she is strong and she is sure. I do not want that taken from her. I definitely do not want to be the one to take it.
These are the gifts that will straighten her spine at 13. These attributes will lead her through the maze of academics and they will take her to the top of her chosen career. She is special beyond belief.
Discipline and structure could destroy this precious compilation of greatness. Boundaries and guidance and consistency all bring goodness, but there is a razor's edge somewhere that a parent must be mindful about crossing. I must be mindful. I do not want to cross over to the dark side and destroy Mya's character.
Am I resisting her behavior because it is unsafe or hurtful? Or, as is more often the case, does it just annoy me or challenge my power? I had best be asking myself these probing questions before I choose to stomp down on Miss Mya.
I want to be the one she turns to for safety, assurance, acceptance and unconditional love. I do not want to damage her special nature with demands for proper behavior. I accept her. I adore her and I plan to do everything I can to lift her up to meet the world. Heck, meet it - she could lead it.
1 comment:
This is an excellent, well-spoken post!
Post a Comment