Thursday, June 29, 2006

It's All About Mya

As I was thinking about labour and delivery, I had an epiphany. Like most epiphanies, it wasn't rocket-science nor all that novel; it's just that it struck me as a truth that I can carry forward. My labour and delivery will be all about Mya.
You might think such a statement would be obvious, but as the days and weeks tick away and delivery draws nearer, I found myself being drawn into the drama of the "Mother's story". Kind of like war stories, Mothers tend to share their delivery stories with some relish for the pain, the crisis and the ultimate victory. All well and good if you like that sort of thing. Me? It was making me more and more nervous about what was to come.
As I waited with anxious anticipation, I was thinking about the nursing staff, my breathing patterns and all the supplies I needed with me to help things along.
I asked myself, "Can I do this without pain medication?" "Will I need a c-section?" "How much will she weigh?" All things that focused on me and my pain.
With this new epiphany, I can now readjust myself around Mya, therefore, allowing me to shut down any anxiety I might have. Of course I can do this without pain meds because that's what I believe to be best for Mya. If Mya requires a c-section, then that is what will happen. Doesn't matter how much she weighs.
I now fully understand that it is my responsibility to deliver Mya into this world. It is about her safety, her health and her entering the world to draw her first breath. It isn't about me and that makes all of the potential pain and difficulty irrelevant.

No comments: