I am truly getting too old to stay up all night long! Last night was a rough one and I'm feeling every one of my 36 years this morning. If my complaining offends you, read no more. This is, afterall, a blog of my creation so I figured I could use it to vent my feelings about age and exhaustion :) If you object; go away. (Did I mention how irritable I get without sleep?)
Mya hit the hay last night (for the first time) around 6:30 pm after a nice bath. She stirred at 8pm when Craig decided to break ice for Lucas using a meat cleaver on the floor. Doh! Back to sleep until 10 or so, up at 11:30, back to sleep until 1, 2, 3, 4 ... aaarrgh!
Each time, I would let her fuss in her own bed for about 10 minutes, hoping upon hope that she would find a way to soothe herself back to sleep. No go. Then, I would feed her for about 3 minutes and she'd be snoozing again. Then, I would let her sleep in my arms for another 5 minutes so she would be solidly asleep when I transferred her back to her bed.
Are you getting the picture? Add up all of the awake time, the feeding time, the getting-ready-to-transfer time and I got virtually no sleep.
By the way, Mya is fine and dandy today and her sleeplessness didn't seem to have anything to do with pain or illness.
Finally at the 4 o'clock waking, I crawled into our bed with her hoping that would bring a solution. She fussed and fidgeted and kicked until I got up to walk the floor with her a bit. As soon as I got up, turned back to pick her up, she was sleeping like a baby (who came up with that stupid cliche?). She was in my bed, leaving no room whatsoever for me .... aaaargh! Reposition her so I can fit in the bed? Not a chance.
I rummaged for a quilt and kicked back in my big, black leather chair and closed my eyes. For 90 measly minutes until I heard Lucas coming around the corner from his room at 5:30 talking about tidying things up :) Aaaaaargh!!
I snuck in about one more hour in Lucas' bed, but he wanted water, he wanted snack, he wanted to play cards with me .... he was so sweet I finally complied and dragged my old bones out of bed for the day.
Guess how long Mya slept in my bed? From 4 am all the way to 8:30 am - over 4 solid hours!!
My 30 minute nap this afternoon (thank goodness both kids went to sleep at the same time) was interrupted by the phone. Can't win. Can't sleep.
I plan to give Mya rice cereal tonight for the first time just in case she's hungry at night. It's possible, but, trust me, she's not starving! But on the outside chance that hunger is an issue, I'll gladly introduce cereal now if she proves ready.
This is just a phase, this is just a phase, this is just a phase .... right?
No comments:
Post a Comment