It has been several weeks, if not months, since we last visited a playground and I was startled by Mya's jump in development since our last visit. When we were enjoying our nearly 80F temps this week, Mya was a crazy girl on the playground!
She was eager to tag along with all the big kids so there was nothing that intimidated her. She was walking along the balancing boards and logs. She was bouncing along on the horsey-see-saw-thingie. She was a maniac on the slide. I was a bit torn - do I help her up the ladder and the precarious turnaround on the top step? or do I leave her at the top in order to catch her at the bottom?
I found a way to do both. I could reach up through the rungs to hold her hand while she transferred to her tummy for the descent and then I would hold her hand down. Once, I decided to let her slide on her own and sure enough, she flew off the end to perform a marvelous bellyflop. Lucky her chin didn't hit the slide on her way by.
Mya was incredibly stable and surefooted all the way - except for the ladders. My heart would jump each time I saw her place her foot on the bottom rung. I'm all for building independence and I try to leave her alone as much as possible to figure out things on her own, but not when it comes to ladders. She did great; but every time, she would slide off a rung or overstep one and go on the inside of the ladder. I didn't need to hold her, I just had to be there to catch her missteps. I suspect I'll be doing a lot of that in her life.
No comments:
Post a Comment