Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fun Stuff

I am in the process of building Mya a "Fun Stuff" board.  It is simply a piece of posterboard on which I will attach pictures of all the fun stuff in Mya's life.  If she has a fit, if she is mean, if she is not a good listener - I will remove one item.  If she proves she can make good choices, the item gets replaced. 

I used the same approach with Lucas when he was around three and it worked very well.  Simple, visual, consistent, avoids a power struggle - all the good marks of valuable tool.  We'll see how Mya responds.  It has taken a while for me to gather together a large enough group of things that Mya cares about, but I think she's ready.   I have identified her currency now.

Starting in a couple days, her Fun Stuff board will debut with the following items
  • Gum
  • Kaboodle
  • Visiting Jo
  • Treats
  • Adventures
  • Tea Parties
  • Nutella

No comments: