Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Brown Recluse

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were an hour old, I would have died for you. This is the miracle of life."

Mya put her foot on a brown recluse this morning, but as far as I can tell, there is no puncture and she says there was no sting when he bit her. She did indicate a place that he bit her though and it was definitely a brown recluse. Can't just dismiss it.

Actually, we're good though. She has decided he was a different kind of spider and he simply hugged her toe.

A call to the doctor's office clarified that we actually have to wait up to four days before we are out of the woods if a bite actually did occur. A recluse bite isn't painful at the beginning, but, eventually, an enzyme liquefies the flesh and there's not much you can do but take antibiotics to handle the infection and try to avoid gangrene.

Not everyone reacts though and many people show no symptoms after a bite. Depends on the body's ability to handle the bite and the amount of poison the spider had time to inject.

I am anxious and would do anything to avoid my child's potential pain and disfigurement. I totally understand that parental instinct to lay down my life for my child. It is unbearable to even get close to watching her suffer. She's fine ... I'm not :)

No comments: